Tuesday, December 21, 2010

This would NEVER happen in Canada

I hope you all planned on sticking with me through thick and thin because it's looking like there are going to be a couple more blog posts made from London.  That's right, concerned citizens, my flight was canceled on Sunday due to inclimate weather (HA HA HA) and I have a shaky reservation for a 5pm flight on Thursday.  I refer to this reservation as shaky because the amount of flights that have actually been leaving heathrow is deplorable.  Tomorrow, 2/3 of flights are already canceled.  It hasn't snowed in FOUR days.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

There was a Canadian guy that was interviewed yesterday outside heathrow talking about all of the people living there, saying that there was basically one person out on the runways using inefficient equipment so no wonder no one is going anywhere.  They should have EVERYONE in London, including the people living at the airport, outside clearing the runway with more than just a FisherPrice plastic beach shovel.  I am literally never going to make it back to the United States.  A representative from Heathrow actually said that currently, they're handling flights on an "is it really necessary that you fly?" basis.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

There are over 1000 people living in the airport.  There's about 3 inches of snow.  Something here does not add up.  Cierra has just informed me that starting tomorrow, she's moving there as well in hopes of getting out.  Her next scheduled flight is Christmas.

On the bright side, we have managed to get some people out and home safe.  Emily, after having TWO flights canceled, is now in the air above me as we speak.  Joe, Jill, Monica and Paul are all home in the US sleeping in their own beds. 

And how has it been in the house? We're running a refugee camp.  Several people without homes have moved in, including Alyssia and Michelle (Joe's girlfriend) and my friend Sam is here all the time.  We're managing to keep the place clean for once, but NOT noise free, as I was woken up at 9am this morning by a JACKHAMMER doing construction up against the wall in my bedroom that I share with the building next door.  This caused me to sleep until 3pm on and off and finally wake up with the most miserable headache. 

The good news is as follows:  I have the BEST friends who are all being super supportive on facebook and skype these past fews days, making me smile and changing their profile pictures to ones of me and them in my memory as though I have died (which I probably will, here.)  My parents have been amazing at handling the situation and trying to get me out of here, and my brother is making me laugh as always via facebook chat so at least I smile once a day.  Also, the people that are left in this house have bonded intensly over the past few days due to our shared situations.  Matt keeps everyones mind off of the flights by blasting 90's music and insisting we do nothing but jam out for HOURS (which we did, last night, approx. 8pm-11pm...some hits featured aaron carter, old school britney, sublime, and michelle branch-"good branch").  Miriam, Cierra, Alyssia, Michelle, Sam and Ruth have been ROCKS.  I honestly don't know what I would be doing right now without everyone. 

So for now I'm trying to fill my days with productiveness but obviously that's not going as well as planned since I SUCK at productivity. I did do laundry last night, which is intense since I planned it so I would have JUST enough clothes to get home on Sunday.  I have officially unpacked ONE of my two suitcases and feel a little like I have admitted defeat.  I will attempt to keep you all in the loop over the next couple of days.

Cheers! (only, not really)

No comments:

Post a Comment